Thursday, March 6, 2014

HOW- TO ORGANIZE YOUR CRAFT SPACE... AND YOUR ENTIRE HOUSE FOR THAT MATTER.d

How To Organize Your Craft Space & Home!

Are you at all like me? Do you spend time on Pinterest pinning pictures of organized spaces to pump you up, and help you tackle your looooooooooooonnnnnng to-do organizational list? 


Do you wish, you had a craft space below  where you can know where everything is at your fingertips and can stay that way long after you have finished your latest craft creation, and have containers that look awesome and also happen to be labeled in cute little chalkboard tags? 

Does your idea of a perfectly organized craft room look like  this:



Or this:


Do you find pictures of organizational ideas that you are like; "that is the best idea!" only to then get told by Pinterest you have already pinned it?

like this one:


If you have answered YES, to at least one of these questions, then don't lose hope! Because if I can organize, then so can you!

I recently decided that I was tired of living in a disorganized mess! Honestly, like stressed out! I couldn't find things, I was tripping over my stuff, and I felt hopeless as to how in the heck I was going to tackle my mess! Especially, in my craft room, that as of now has the door open for the first time in like a year in a half! (I used to just close the door, and try to forget!) :)

Now, I'm not going to lie and tell you that my home is now 100% organized, because that would be a blatant lie! But, I have improved in a TON of areas, and I continue to make strides everyday! 

You see, I used to "Organize" the way, I thought things should be. You know based on pictures ;) But then after a month, things would end up a big mess again! So, I tried these ideas, and after 2 months my closet, bathroom, and craft space are in good shape!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a professional anything, but these steps have helped me, and I'm not very consistent with things for long, so the fact that these steps have kept me going says a lot! I hope these tips can help you in some way. 


Here are some TIPS for Organizing your craft space & home! And guess what? They are doable and realistic!

1) Be realistic. Notice I only mentioned my closet, craft room & bathroom as being organized? Yeah, my house isn't missing any rooms, nor do I live in a shoe, it just happens that those are the first ones that I have truly organized that have stayed that way! Yep. Organizing takes A PLAN, TIME & PATIENCE! Be realistic! begin with one closet at a time, then move to another, and eventually you will get to tackle actual rooms!

2)Have a Plan. I began my organizational journey with my closet. Why the closet you ask? Well, I decided that I use my closet everyday and it was taking me WAYYYYY to long to get dressed each morning. And not only did it get me frustrated each morning (which is no bueno) I was losing precious time to do more productive things. With me tackling my closet, which didn't take me long, since I know what stuff I don't like anymore or use at a glance, I was able to get that done in one day. Now I have added 30 minutes to my day, and my kids are appreciating my positive attitude as I drop them off to school. So, begin with one thing that works for you! 

Also, what do you do with all the stuff you no longer need? Donate, sell, or pass down. *I find that if I believe in a charity to donate to, I never feel bad about giving stuff away. I donate my clothes to Operation Kindness, where they use the proceeds of the sale of donated items to care for pets in need of a home. 

3) Stay motivated.Easier said than done, right? Well, this kind of goes hand in hand with the PLAN. Tackle things that you know will be done quickly and move on. This way, you start small, but accomplishing things, will give you that motivation to continue. 


{Here is a picture of my desk caddy, all organized! This took me just a few minutes, but kept me going!}

4) Consider your habits. Remember I told you I used  to organized based on where I thought things should be/go? Well, guess what. I don't keep everything I use where it should go, and that causes the chaos again. You see, I use my under the sink cabinet as a place to put new things to replenish the house with. Like mouthwash, make up, and new kitchen sponges. Why? because I made it my habit to just store all new things there. Wouldn't it make sense to put the kitchen sponges under the kitchen sink? Of course! But I have my cabinet set, and no matter how many times I try to change that, I just don't do it. So, if you know you won't keep something in a specific space/place, then put it somewhere you know you will put it away every time. This is also true with my stamps, my dies, my stickers. I don't put my dies in a container, I just leave them on my desk, so now, I hang them in my magnetic board over my desk, where I can find them every time!

 5)Don't spend money! I have made this mistake many times. I go out and buy containers, cute boxes, make labels etc. to 'organize' and then, I just end up with more stuff! First, plan, then tackle (little by little) and once you are done organizing, consider if something needs a container. I found that all of my chipboard pieces are better in a glass container on my desk, than on a plastic bin in my closet. 

And there you have it. Truly, I thought about these things for awhile, and figuring out my habits, planning, and then doing things little by little, have given me that extra push to really organize my space. 


Jazmin

XOXO 







0 comments

Post a Comment